November 20, 2019
Attendance: Lauren Dykman, Stephanie Madsen, Scott Lindell, Seb Bigorre, Mindy Richlen, Dina Pandya
#1 Recycling- Behind the Scenes – Lunch n Learn with Kari Parcell – Friday, Nov. 15th 12:15 Carriage House. Kari’s presentation was well attended 24+ people and we learned a few things:
- clean recycled materials well (one contaminated bin can ruin it for a whole truck load!)
- do not put shredded paper in the recycle bins – contact email@example.com if you need information
- cost will increase. Right now we recycle for free, expect to be charged in the future
- Generate Headlines submissions for new recycling information (i.e. shredded paper) (volunteer?)
- Electronics upcycling flyer – being created by Seb + Helen
- Recycling Pipette tips + boxes with USA Scientific – pdf has been loaded to our STF page https://web.whoi.edu/sustainability/initiatives/waste-recycling/recycling/
Contact (Nick Putnam, firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested in participating.
#2 Farmers Market – set up Market Box at WHOI next fall? Jennie Rheuban leading the charge. Jennie was not able to attend so we didn’t spend much time discussing.
Members mentioned a shuttle each Thursday to the Farmers Market during work would be great!
- Shuttle might not be possible but perhaps we could carpool?
- Identify leadership if this is to move forward. Someone will have to set up carpooling (JR)
#3 Sustainable Efforts WHOI wide
- Update from Seb Bigorre- Nov 22 at 12:00pm Smith Conf Room- BOSS Event was super successful!
- Working together to create a WHOI Sustainability Plan- created a working group for writing the Plan
- Laura Dykman– Divesting from Carbon funds – is it possible?
Lauren read Mark Abbott’s response to a letter she drafted in October, which included sentiment such as, “value it, will look into it, but can’t promise anything.’
- Find examples of other research institutions who have successfully divested (we need exemplars – LD)
- Follow up with working groups (those created from BOSS meeting) (SM)
#4 Solar Update –
- Off-site solar arrays totaling 6 MW and over $320,000 in savings since Fall 2017
- New offsite solar added 1 MW in Canton, Ma – carport at North End Motors
- Rooftop solar – Clark and Clark So. rooftop in January 2020 (thanks to Donor and Facilities)
- sign contract and move forward with roof engineering assessment (SM)
#5 WSS Events
- Green Driving Lunch n Learn – Anna Vanderspek from Green Energy Consumers Org (Feb most likely)
- Beekeeping Meetings – setting up for summer installation (Nov 5 10-11 Bigelow 217)
- Water kiosk ribbon cutting – Waterfront Park (date TBD spring time)
- Repair Café debrief – held in Oct and was awesome!!!
- schedule Drive Green Lunch n Learn (for Feb)- SM
- Schedule next Repair Café (SM)
- Create Beekeeping action items (DK)
#6 Update on Single-use Plastics at WHOI 2020.
- Letter went out to All WHOI employees on Dec 10, 2019. Such great support from Leadership at WHOI!
- add letter link to STF website (DP)
- schedule alternatives to plastic pop-ups (SM + team)
#7 New Business
Regional Transportation discussion
- Can we offer free bus seats on MIT bus? It’s silly to have so many empty seats twice per week
- Members would like to see public transportation between bridges – Sagamore to Bourne
- People would like to see a bike rack option on buses and shuttles
- Town Transportation Management Committee is looking for volunteers