November 18, 2020
Attendance: Mai Maheigan, Lauren Dykman, Helen Harding, Taylor Heyl, Dina Pandya, Stephanie Madsen, Pam Polloni, Sebastien Bigorre
#1 Electric Vehicle MassEvolves Event – Wednesday, Nov. 18 11am-12. To see the WHOI EV video, visit our STF website – Green Transportation https://web.whoi.edu/sustainability/initiatives/energy-climate-change/ev-charging-stations/
- Keep tabs on Ford’s F150 EV roll out. Will need to expand our EV charging stations by buying new SemaConnect ports
#2 Fossil Fuel Divestment in WHOI’s portfolio – JP Student Lauren Dykman gave a very compelling case encouraging WHOI’s Board to consider divesting the endowment portfolio from fossil fuel corps to socially responsible ones. The drafted letter signed by JP students and post docs will be sent soon.
- Send letter to President Peter de Menocal, Rick Murray and the Board (LD)
#3 Mayflower Offshore Wind update – Kelsey Perry (Lunch + Learn Presentation on Wed Dec 2 @ noon) We discussed our thoughts on supporting this project, and helping the State meet Global Warming Solutions Act requirements https://www.mass.gov/service-details/global-warming-solutions-act-background
We want to do our part as Falmouth residents in supporting renewable energy projects.
- Create the Lunch n Learn flyer (KP-done)
- Advertise – Headlines and Events (SM)
- Learn more about the substation (all)
#4 Garden Plot Cleanup for Winter- We scheduled a winter cleanup – Saturday, Nov 28 at 9:00 am. Anyone welcome to help – please email email@example.com if you’d like to join us.
- Send invitation for event (SM – done)
- Bring garden tools (all)
#5 WSS – WHOI Social Sustainability
- Hike being organized by Kevin N and Sarah Y – Monk’s Park in Bourne, Sunday, Nov. 22 at 9:30 (It was so fun and we explored two new locations – Monk Park and Lawrence Island. Thank you Kevin + Sarah!
- Looking for Lunch and Learn volunteers. The following have been pitched (dates tbd):
- Lunch n Learn – Mayflower Wind with community liaison Kelsey Perry (our former CEC intern!) Dec 2 at noon
- Lunch n Learn – Conor Miller – Black Earth Composting – Friday, Dec 18 at Noon
- Lunch n Learn – Beehive at WHOI update (Karen Soenen) date tbd
- Lunch n Learn – Minimalism discussion – (Sibel Karchner) date tbd
- Lunch n Learn -Recreation Committee and YMCA update – Justin Ossolinski + Karen Soenen (or YMCA Rep) date tbd
- Beach Clean-up Shore Lab Crew – partnering with T3C + WHOI neighbors to create a monthly beach cleanup activity. Meet at Gate by Shore Lab (flyer was created- thanks Helen!) Thanks to Sarah + Kevin for leading November!
- Create and disseminate flyers – Compost flyer and Mayflower Wind flyer (HH + SM)
- Secure dates for other Lunch n Learns (SM reach out to Karen, Justin + Sibel)
- Send Monthly beach cleanup reminders to WHOI + T3C (SM)
#6 Solar on Clark + So Roof – Panels are installed! Let’s plan a celebration!
- Send Clark So + Clark rooftop solar pictures to Mai for uploading to STF website (SM-done)
- Create a Headlines announcement with link to STF solar page (SM)
- Send thank you note and photos to solar donor (anonymous) SM
#7 Whoi’s Your Buddy Program- work in progress – we need to connect with Workplace Climate Committee + HR.
- Dina will discuss with the Workplace Climate Committee (DP)
- Steph will share the WHOI’s Your Buddy brainstorming google doc with Dina (SM-done)
#8 New Business
Litter Free Falmouth! Community Wide town cleanup Dec 5 +6 – Create a cleanup Pod in your neighborhood and send pictures. Sign up here:
- Create flyer (Helen already did this! It’s posted on Insta ‘sustainablewhoi’)
LED Rebates for 2021- exciting news about rebates for 2021 LED projects totaling $251,000. The rebate program expires at the end of 2021 thus we will attempt to install LEDs in as many buildings as possible over the next year.