Attendance: Lauren Dykman, Dina Pandya, Sebastien Bigorre, Stephanie Madsen, Megan Amsler, Kelsey Perry + Maggie Paul (CEC Interns)
#1 Solar Update
- Clark and Clark South roof solar arrays (100 kw system) are expected to be installed in July, 2020
- Roof reinforcement and sealant are being applied by Tremco prior to solar installation.
- Walkway leading to the test tank on Clark So. roof is being rebuilt
- Request ReVision supplies a porta-potty for Covid safety reasons (SM)
#2 CEC Interns Maggie Paul + Kelsey Perry were introduced. Along with Megan Amsler, their Supervisor and Executive Director of Cape + Islands Selft-Reliance, we discussed possible summer projects including:
- Research composting grant for Buttery Cafe – ~$3,000/year needed
- Create ShareWare bin (there may be a microgrant with MassDEP for this)
- Update energy data in Energy Star Portfolio Manager
- Update WHOI’s 2017 Climate Action Plan
- Generate Sustainability communication strategies geared towards scientists
- EV flyers for WHOI employees (to encourage purchase of EV)- work with MassEVolves
- Create How to fight climate change during Covid flyer (CES suggested we check with EH+S regarding air exchanges)
- Advertise Black Earth Compost as new Falmouth/WH commercial composting vendor
- Follow up with Megan, Maggie and Kelsey regarding project scope and interests (SM)
- Add Kelsey to STF Garden list and Instagram social media working group (SM – done)
- Contact Black Earth Composting (SM)
#3 Beekeeping Update – The Beekeeping team is making great strides with a beehive/box setup. The hive is located behind the Carpenter Shop in Quissett North and the Bees arrived in April.
- Contact Danie Kinkade firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to volunteer and to be added to the beekeeping list serve.
- Fill out the liability waiver
- Sign up to volunteer on the Google Calendar
#4 Garden Plot – STF now has Plot #23 in the Village Gardens. Next Garden working group meeting is May 29 at 11:00 am
- Notify Seb Bigorre email@example.com if you want to help the STF Garden Team. (you’ll have to fill out a waiver)
- We’ll need help watering the garden throughout the summer – thank you Helen, Taylor, Kelsey and Amanda for volunteering!
- Update the garden planting map (SF or SB)
- Create watering schedule (SM)
#5 Composting at the Buttery – expand what we already do (aka veggie scraps behind the counter)
- Mary Ryther, with input from the Woods Hole Community, selected Black Earth Compost as the vendor of choice.
- New link and price sheet on our STF website
- Call Black Earth Compost Inc to get price sheet + add to website(SM)
- Investigate grant possibilities to cover Buttery costs (SM + CEC Interns)
#6 STF Instagram Account –we received approval from WHOI’s Communications Dept to start a STF Instagram account (Mai + HH)
- Create working group – thus far participants include Stephanie, Helen, Mai + Kelsey
- Zoom call scheduled for Thursdays, May 28th at 1:00pm
# 7 WSS Events
- Events are on hold because of Covid
- Repair Café – (postponed tbd) scheduled for Thursday, May 7 4:00-6:00.
#8 New Business
- Divesting from Carbon discussion – when to present to Trustees – Lots of discussion regarding timing ensued; wait til Covid is resolved or start discussions soon? Varied opinions emerged.
- Headlines – It was suggested that we add sustainability reminders in Headlines more regularly (SM)
- WHOI’s Presidential Search – and the importance of sustainability.
- Send Presidential Search link to STFers (LD + SM)