July 17, 2019
Attendance: Maureen Auro, Mai Maheigan, Faith Duffy, Sebastien Bigorre, Stephanie Madsen
#1 Activities Fairs were held Thursday, July 11 from 11-1 in Clark 507 and Thursday, July 18- Discovery Center from 4:00-6:00pm
The goal of the Activities Fair is to encourage a sense of community pride and cohesiveness by providing a showcase of current activities and resources that contribute to a positive environment at WHOI for the broad spectrum of WHOI’s culture. Whether it’s committee or advisory work, a task force, or a group focused on artistic expression, social justice, environmental concern, or mind-body-spiritual fitness, the activity fair will help WHOI employees connect to your groups to enable a stronger WHOI culture.
- Help advertise the events (All)
#2 WSS Events Reflections and discussion of upcoming and new events
- Lawn Games – Friday, July 12 from 5-7pm Village Lawn above Garden Plots
- Music on the Hillside (across from Pie n Sky)- Thursday, Aug 8 5-7pm. The Rowan Brothers will be playing live music. Bring a picnic and invite friends. It is open to the Community as well.
- Water kiosk ribbon cutting – Waterfront Park (date TBD)
- Partnership suggested with Jeff Kaeli (orienteering) and outside WHOI people – ex. Christin Marshall
- Spring Bike Ride- on a Friday – need to pick one
- Movies on Lawn? People are interested in bringing this back
- Yoga on the Beach – Wednesdays at Chappy (past Bowerman’s Beach) in West Falmouth at 6:30pm
Action: For Music on the Lawn Event
- Create flyers and posters to advertise the Music on the Lawn Event (done-HH + SM)
- Recruit volunteer team- so far we have Al Gagnon, Bethany Blackburn, Faith Duffy. Please let me know if you can help out the night of Aug 8 4:30-7:30pm.
#3 Garden Plot behind Challenger – The Sustainability Task Force was offered Garden Plot #3 in the Village Garden, and Sebastien Bigorre will be the garden leader so please email him and sign the waiver.
- Generate watering schedule (done- SB)
- Help weed garden (All)
#4 Sustainability Tours – on Friday, Aug 9 from 11-3 we’ll be hosting a Sustainability Tour at WHOI for 20-30 members of Northshore Technology Council NSTC.org. ReVision, our solar providers facilitated the connection.
I’d love for STF members to help out if possible.
- Recruit helpers – Faith + Seb agreed to help (confirm with Steph)
#5 Single-use Plastics at WHOI 2020. Another initiative to eradicate single-use plastics even more at WHOI
Letter for all employees coming your way soon.
- Present letter to Staff Council then all WHOI employees (CR)
- Help Services at WHOI meet the goals (Steve + Denise have been amazing in transitioning!)
- Research alternatives to plastic juices (SM)