January 20, 2021
Attendance: Mai Maheigan, Sarah Youngs, Danielle Haas Freeman, Stephanie Murphy, Lauren Dykman, Helen Harding, Dina Pandya, Stephanie Madsen
#1 Solar Report + Next Steps Review- The recently installed solar arrays on Clark + Clark South were discussed, the new solar proposals were reviewed (see chart) and the report for the donor was addressed.
- We are waiting for Eversource to install the net meters on Clark + Clark So
- Help edit the Donor Report (Kevin + Lauren- thank you!)
- Review Onsite Solar Economics slide (on right)
- Add Meteor House to the solar queue (waiting for proposal from Revision.
#2 URGE – Unlearning Racism in Geoscience has launched. Find more materials and readings at urgeoscience.org Funded by NSF + WHOI
- Sustainable WHOI Pod was created, has 11 members, and launched Jan 18th.
#3 Beehive Honey Auction – The Honey Auction Team reports that they raised over $1,200 for the Falmouth Service Center! Great job!!
#4 WSS – WHOI Social Sustainability – hikes, fun events + educational lunch and learns to keep our WHOI Staff feeling welcome, holistically healthy, and happy.
Lunch and Learns:
- February Hike with Sarah + Lauren – Sunday, Feb 14 at 10:00am Crane Wildlife Sanctuary
- Lunch n Learn -Recreation Committee and YMCA update - Justin Ossolinski + Karen Soenen (or YMCA Rep) Feb 10, 2021 (for WHOI employees only)
- Meeting ID: 926 8578 5169 Passcode: Rec21!
- https://whoi-edu.zoom.us/j/92685785169? pwd=Ym4wNVY1c2FZaWRMbCsrdERDckdzdz09
- Lunch n Learn – Beehive at WHOI update (Karen Soenen) March tbd, 2021
- Recycling Boat Shrink wrap Lunch + Learn – Stephanie Murphy, SeaGrant (April 14)
- Schedule date and time for February Hike (Sarah + Lauren)
- Schedule Boat shrink wrap Lunch n Learn for April (?) (Stephanie Murphy)
- Consider wildlife Lunch n Learn presentation (Lauren)
#5 Beach Clean-up Shore Lab - Monthly beach cleanups scheduled. STF is partnering with a local Land Trust The 300 Committee (T3C) + WHOI neighbors to clean up the beach on the first Thursday of each month. Meet at the Gate by Shore Lab. Leaders for Beach Cleanups include:
- 4, Thursday – Lauren Dykman and Sarah Youngs (Steph is on vacation)
- March 4, Thursday – Kevin Nikolaus
- April 1 – Dina Pandya and Stephanie Murphy
- May 6, Thursday – Pam Polloni
- Consider using SeaGrant’s Marine Debris tracker App for the beach cleanups.
#6 WHOI’s Your Buddy Program- work in progress – The Workplace Climate Committee (WCC), Women’s Committee (WC), CDEI Events + STF met in January to brainstorm ideas for the program launch. The goal is to create a more diverse, inclusive, and welcoming environment at WHOI. There is a lot of great enthusiasm for this program.
- Notify Steph if you want to volunteer for this program (we have a google drive folder I can share)
- To be a Buddy and create your Profile, go to: https://web.whoi.edu/wcc/whois-your-buddy-program/
- Schedule next planning meeting (DP, SM + Kayleah)
#7 Garden Plot – Danielle Haas Freeman wants to join the garden group and help with winterizing. Schedule a Tour of garden for newcomers.
- Steph meet up with Danielle at the STF Garden plot (done)
#8 New Business - Annual Greenhouse Gas Reporting?
- Add Greenhouse Gas Reporting to next month’s agenda