August 21, 2019
Attendance: Stephanie Madsen, Faith Duffy, Sarah Fuller
#1 Green It Forward Award Winner Kayleah Griffen!
Green It Forward - Give a round of applause for Kayleah Griffen, the winner of the Summer Green It Forward Award. Griffen was nominated in recognition of her devotion to conserve the planet by eschewing single-use products, bicycling into work as much as possible, being an active member on the sustainability committee, practicing veganism, and offering weekly updates to her peers on ways to live a greener life. CONGRATS KAYLEAH!!!
- Add Kayleah’s picture and write up to STF website blog (at bottom of page) (HH)
- Disseminate flyer for people to post around campus (SM)
- Nominate others at WHOI (All)
#2 Solar Update – We discussed the many solar projects going on and in the works at WHOI.
- Off-site solar arrays totaling 5 MW and over $260,000 in savings since Fall 2017. We are the anchor tenants for 5 different solar arrays/gardens.
- Rooftop solar – potential new projects. We are hoping generous donors will want to help us reduce our budget costs by funding rooftop solar projects. It’s the gift that gives back to WHOI for over 20 years!
- Team up with WHOI Development to put together strategy for possible solar donations. (SM)
- Add updated off-site solar slide to STF website (MM- done!)
#3 WSS Events
- Anything But A Boat Race – Sunday, Sept. 15 Noon. http://woodshole.com/anything-but-a-boat/ and Beach Ball to follow at the Landfall + Quicks Hole Tequeria. WE NEED VOLUNTEERS FOR THE EVENT to set up and break down. You’ll get a wrist band valued at $15.00 off your bill at either restaurant.
- Debrief - Music on the Lawn (across from Pie n Sky)- Thursday, Aug 8 5-7pm. The Rowan Brothers will be playing live music. Bring a picnic and invite friends. It is open to the Community as well.
- Water kiosk ribbon cutting – Waterfront Park (date TBD)
- Yoga on the Beach – Wednesdays at Chappy (past Bowerman’s Beach) in West Falmouth at 6:30pm
- Sign up to volunteer at Anything But Boat Race – email Stephanie at email@example.com
- Make flyer for BEE Keeping Lunch n Learn scheduled for Wednesday, Sept 25th in Carriage House 12:15 – 1:00pm (SM + HH) Thanks for setting this up Danie!
- Repair Café – generate flyer for Repair café which is scheduled for Oct 24th 4:00-6:00 pm Losos High Bay
#4 Pollinator Garden in Village – Little Harbor Gardens will be looking for volunteers to help plant pollinator plants and flowers in the new Pollinator Garden next to Shiverick Parking Lot. Planting Date TBD but expected to be finished by Sept. 6
- Sign up to help with planting – date tbd (All)
#5 Sustainability Tours – Debrief of our first Sustainability Tour at WHOI (Aug16). It was for 20-30 members of Northshore Technology Council NSTC.org. ReVision, our solar providers facilitated the connection.
- Offer a Sustainability Tour for WHOI employees in Lunch n Learn Format Date TBD (SM)
#6 Single-use Plastics at WHOI 2020. Another initiative to eradicate single-use plastics even more at WHOI . The letter is being approved via the appropriate WHOI channels before disseminated to All.
- Work on letter with Colin + Emiley (SM)
K-cup Alternatives – we discussed whether the mesh used in coffee pods is compostable (vs. having microplastic content).
- Have intern Alden Thomas research compostable coffee pods available on WBMason’s website and create a ppt slide (DONE!)
- Add the slide/pdf to STF website (MM or DP)