April 19, 2017
Attendance: Pam Polloni, Sebastien Bigorre, Alex Bocconcelli, Holly Wilson, Sean Medeiros, Ali LaBella, David Carter, Stephanie Madsen
#1 WSS Events –
- · Botany walking tour at Quissett Campus with Pam Polloni. Meet at Fenno Fireside on April 25th at 12:15. Rescheduled for Wednesday, May 3 at 12:15.
- Moraine Trail Hike with Buzzards Bay Coalition + The 300 Committee – Come hike 9 miles of Falmouth’s Moraine Trail on May 13th(9:30-2:30pm) http://www.300committee.org/
- Schedule additional hikes for May (SM)
- Red Sox game – tbd (SM)
#2 March for Science – We booked a Bus for March for Science April 22!! Reserve your seat on letskedaddle.com/events/7696. we need 3 more seats filled or they’ll cancel our bus reservation.
March for Climate:
Action: Next Rally/March – Marine Park in Falmouth
Saturday April 29 Climate Activities at Marine Park
10 am - 2:00 pm Electric Vehicles test drives, solar, energy efficiency, net zero home information at
2:00 - 3:00 pm Walk for the Climate leaving from Marine Park at 2pm, ending at Peace Rock at Peg
#3 Movie - Tapped Date (tbd) at 6:00 pm in Redfield with Stephen Rafferty, Falmouth’s Water Superintendent. Redfield not available on June 13th - CINAR Meeting all day.
- Schedule date for showing (Sept. 12th or week later?) - Holly Wilson will help organize email@example.com
#4 Beach Cleanups- New Cleanups being scheduledwith Skip the Straw group, SEA, T3C.
- July 15 or 16th – Surf Drive Beach (low tide 8:00am + 8:00 pm)
- Our Steamship Bike path cleanup in March was a great success with over 30 participants!
- Reach out to Sierra of SkipStraw/SEA group and SeaGrant to schedule date + time (SM)
#5 Bike Update – We discussed the various bike events and activities taking place at WHOI
- May 19th – Bike Maintenance Workshop – Fenno patio, 3:00-5:00. Tech from Corner Cycle will be there to help
- Cleanup of abandoned bikes on campus (Headlines entry)-April 19th
- Loaner Program launched April 15th!!
- Bike Committee May 4th at 10:00am
- Bike Friendly Business status for Whoi – applying for status (due in June) - $500 fee (lasts 3 years)
- Bike storage – basement Carriage House (cleaned out and bike rack delivered) Official opening - tbd
- Post Bike Flyers (All)
- Post Bike Loaner Flyer in Shuttle and around campus (SM+ All)
#6 MassSustainability Communities Conference Update
- Sebastien + Steph gave update of conference…ex. Keynote speaker Ellen Douglas Associate Professor, School for the Environment; Graduate Program Director, Environmental Sciences, Marine Science, and Technology, UMass Boston Presentation: Impact of Sea Level Rise on Greater Boston, Green Infrastructure, and Planning
- Wicked Watts lighting upgrades – female owned business.
#7 Building Reps – schedule the following building walk throughs with reps:
- Fenno – Colin Reed (joining May 2 Dept. Meeting to discuss results)
- Clark 2nd Fl wing- Kim Deisher
- Nobska House- Patty Mahoney
- Shiverick – Danie KinKade (snowed out…reschedule)
#8 New Business
- STF Roadshow/Expo – People are consistently asking What is WHOI doing to be sustainable? Thus, the Task Force would like to set up informational tables to share our solution based activities with WHOI employees
Action: Sign up for a date to help Steph at one or several Expo events! (All)
#9 The Offshore Energy and Storage Symposium (OSESS)
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
July 11-14, 2017
For more information, go to https://www.osessociety.com/oses2017