The Knorr is the ship that will take us to our work site in the Labrador Sea.
Did you know that sailors always talk about their ships as if they were girls? They never refer to a ship as It, but always as She.
Here are some facts about the Knorr.
- She is 269 feet long and 46 feet wide.She is made mostly of steel and is 4 decks high.
- She was built in 1968 and has traveled more than a millionmiles—the equivalent of two round trips to the Moon or forty trips around the Earth.
- She is powered by two very large propellers.
- She has enough cabins and beds to sleep 56 people!
- She has many laboratories and special-purpose workspaces.
- She has a kitchen, a dining room, and even a library full of books!
On board the ship,
- The kitchen is called the galley.
- A door is called a hatch.
- The stairs are called ladders.
- The dining room is called the mess.
- A bed is called a bunk.
- A bathroom is called a head!