The WHOI nutrient facility processes liquid inorganic nutrient samples using a SEAL Analytical AA3 HR. The sample suite consists of Ammonium, Orthophosphate, Silicate, and Nitrate+Nitrite. The 2017 cost for the nutrient suite will be $25/sample. A minimum charge is billed for batches less than 100 samples for nutrient analysis. Samples that are batched or that can be delayed will avoid minimum sample charges. WHOI has changed their overhead fee to include MTDC (Modified Total Direct Cost). The 2017 Rate determined by the institution is 58% for all samples billed out.
|Ammonium||0.034 μMol/L||G-171-96||EPA pt.136, app B|
|Nitrate+Nitrite||0.010 μMol/L||G-172-96||EPA pt.136, app B|
|Silicate||0.016 μMol/L||G-177-96||EPA pt.136, app B|
|Phosphate||0.025 μMol/L||G-297-03||EPA pt. 136, app B|
The following procedures are included when samples are processed at the WHOI nutrient facility:
- Laboratory duplicates on 10% of all the samples submitted (if duplicates are required on all samples an additional cost of $2/sample will be added)
- A certified reference material (RMNS or equilavent) will be processed daily when samples are analyzed.
- Quality Control samples will be processed throughout the run to track any drift within the instrument.
- A standard addition will also be spiked with 10% of the samples that are submitted.
- The finalized data set will be reported within an excel spreadsheet with concentration units of uMol/L.
Other Analysis that can be performed:
- Total Dissolved Nitrogen / Total Nitrogen. The method used for the determination of total and organic nitrogen through persulfate oxidation. The 2017 cost for the TDN/TN analysis will be $25/sample.
- Nitrite only will be analyzed at a cost of $12.50/sample.
- Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, APHA/AWWA/WEF, method 4500-NH3 G (22nd Ed.)
- Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, APHA/AWWA/WEF, method 4500 NO3– F (22nd Ed.)
- Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, APHA/AWWA/WEF, method 4500- SiO2 -E (22nd Ed.)
- Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, APHA/AWWA/WEF, method 4500‑P F (22nd Ed.)
- Armstrong, F.A.J., Sterns, C.R. and Strickland, J.D.H, 1967 Deep Sea Res. 14, pp. 381-389. "The measurement of upwelling and subsequent biological processes by means of Technicon AutoAnalyzer and associated equipment."
- Grasshoff, K., Technicon International Congress, June 1969
- Federal Water Pollution Control Administration Methods for Chemical Analysis of Water and Wastes, November 1969.
- Methods of Seawater Analysis, K. Grasshoff et. al., Verlag Chemie, 2nd Edition, 1983.