OCB Biogeochemical Profiling Float Workshop
General outline for the workshop agenda (details will be added as speakers and workshop attendees are confirmed):
- Discussion of basic float technology (buoyancy engine, CTD)
- The path from float data collection to data availability
- Basic BGC sensors: dissolved oxygen, FLBB, and other optical sensors.
- Evening: Discussion of programs using BGC float technology that are presently underway, and future plans for new work and proposals.
- Additional BGC sensors: float measurements of nitrate and pH
- Sensor calibration (factory and laboratory)
- Case studies of sensor performance
- Characteristics of sensors from different manufacturers
- Development of new sensors and future capabilities
- The use of BGC float data, real-time and adjusted
- Formatting of BGC float data
- Getting BGC data from Argo and from other online sources
- Use of shipboard data in conjunction with float data
- Other datasets relevant to BGC float data
- Estimating carbon parameters from BGC float data
- Evening: Discussion of scientific issues that can be addressed by BGC float technology and the potential development of future proposals.
- Presentations from manufacturers of BGC float and sensor technology (an important part of the 2017 Argo workshop held at UW, and a number of manufacturers have already expressed an interest in participating in this BGC workshop)
- Evening: Discussion of BGC-Argo.
(1/2 day, ends at noon)
- Meeting summary and discussion
- Next steps
- Connection between individual researchers and larger projects
- Summary of potential scientific proposals